After quite a wait there will be a new Leverage album . This time with Kimmo Blom on vocals. I really loved the last album, Circus Colossus , so this has quite a lot to do to replace that in my affections.
There will be a new Fortune album released by Frontiers. Quite a surprise. If you like keyboard driven AOR then check it out. For fans of bands like Harlan Cage.
If you like your music to have a 70s vibe to it then check out Cats In Space, who have a new album due out soon.
David Coverdale’s Whitesnake have new album due soon. 40 years and still rocking.
Mike Tramp has a new album due in March. I love his easy flowing Americana. Looking forward to this one.
Pride of Lion’s vocalist Toby Hitchcock has a new solo album out on Froniters. Fellow Frontiers artists Michael Palace and Daniel Flores provide the music. However, there is now doubt about the star of the show – Toby’s vocals.
Harem have a 14 CD box set released on Frontiers. Any excuse. Here is “No Justice”.
An whilst we are digging into the past, here is the video for Henry Lee Summer’s hit “I Wish I Had a Girl”.
Whilst having a look through youTube I came across these guys who were a fusion of metal and punk. It was a combination that few appreciated, including, by the sound of a another interview video I came across, band member Steve Jones. I liked the album, including this cover of a Waylon Jenning’s song.
I only picked up on this recently. It is a Phenomena style project featuring a variety of Swedish musicians and vocalists. Right from the off the tracks have a retro in your face AOR meets hard rock vibe. The following video perfectly illustrates what is on offer.
Ruins is the new track from Degreed.
Mats from the band describes it as follows:
“Ruins is a song about mine and Robins hometown and how it is in many smaller towns – the stores close and the people move to the cities to find jobs.
It’s about growing up in the little town and loving it and still loving it even though the houses fall apart and the people you knew have moved.
Ruins is starting off softer and ending up in a big chorus – It’s a little bit pop and a little more rock all mixed into one, there’s something in it for everyone!” –
Burning Rain have a new track called Midnight Train released, which I assume means a new album is also on it’s way. I have to admit that these guys, featuring Doug Aldrich, have passed me by. I’m now going back and listening to their previous album, Epic Obsession. A bit of retro Whitesnake meets Led Zep action, which I should have picked up on earlier.
Dream Theater have released another song, Fall Into The Light, from their forthcoming album. If the first track, Untethered Angel, didn’t fill you with excitement, then this one might do the trick. The extremely fussy Dream Theater fans seem to be generally giving this one the thumbs up. Jordan Rudess does some really nice playing in the final section of the song.
The following are some of the albums I enjoyed listening to in 2018:
- The Senior Management – Heart and Soul – AOR meets country – yee haa! A killer combination to these ears.
- Dukes of the Orient – Dukes of the Orient – not exactly a new album as it took years to finally get completed and released. A must have for fans of John Payne fronted Asia.
- Praying Mantis – Gravity – One of the most consistent bands over the years who are always a joy to listen to
- Nightwish – Decades – A band that have crept up on me over the past year, possibly through youTube videos of their live performances with Floor as the vocalist. All three vocalist are featured here.
- W.E.T. – Earthrage – these guys always nail it. JSS is one of my favourite singers. Sometime it is just too perfect and seems like it lacks emotion and is off a factory production line. But take a break and listen afresh to be amazed all over again.
- Stryper – God Damn Evil – Sounding good on their latest album, despite the comical opening track. It doesn’t quite measure up to No More Hell To Pay, but that would be a difficult task in my estimation.
- Keldian – Darkness and Light – This was actually released in 2017, but it is one that I’ve been playing quite a lot this past year. A great combination of power metal, synths and melody.
- Mystery – Lies and Butterflies – Something to chill out to.
- Night Flight Orchestra – Sometimes The World Ain’t Enough – Unashamedly retro sounding feel good music
- Subsignal – La Muerta – accessible progressive rock that just gets better with each listen. It probably deserves to be higher in the list, rather than squeezing in at number ten.
I hope you all had a good Christmas and wish you all the best for 2019. Hopefully 2019 will bring more great music to listen to!!!
If dark melodic metal is one of your preferred genres, Evergrey have released the first track from their forthcoming album, “The Atlantic”, which is due in January 2019.